Year End Tax Strategy – Self Employed can claim a Deduction for Contributions to Super (generally)

During the tax year, if you earn less than 10% of your income from wage/salary, and the rest from self employment, you can claim a tax deduction for contributions to super. For example you may have extra cash profit in the business bank account, and wish to obtain a business deduction to reduce the profit. If you make such a payment, there are two things to be aware of.

1              Complete a notice or send a letter, of intent to claim a deduction, and in return, you receive an acknowledgment from the fund. You lodge this notice before you lodge your tax return for the year the contribution was made, of the end of the tax year following the year of contribution.

2              Watch you keep under contribution caps $25,000 if under age 50 or $50,000 if over 50 between 1/7/2007 – 30/6/2012. After 30/6/2010 the over 50 cap drops to $25,000 under the current law. Remember the cap includes all contributions by you and any employer (even some part-time jobs).

If you are not eligible for a self-employed deduction, and have cash you want to contribute, consider a contribution on behalf of your spouse. You may get an offset of up to $540. The contribution needs to be over $3000, for a spouse with income and reportable fringe benefits of less than $10,800. The offset reduces on a sliding scale as spouse income increases, stopping once their income reaches $13,800, or reduces if contribution is under $3000.

About SuperBenefitnews

Self-Managed Superannuation Service Providers in Australia. SuperBenefit provides a wholistic SMSF assistance, education and administration service continuum - 1. “assistance” is help of whatsoever nature where our overall SMSF experience and knowledge enables us to provide assistance/help without any legal (or “license”) limitations. 2. “education” involves providing knowledge through teaching, coaching and mentoring about all matters SMSF, including (but not limited to) investment issues such as equities and property, 3. “administration” encompasses all admin aspects of legally required SMSF trustee and member record keeping including (but not limited to) audit and ATO matters. In keeping with our key point that SuperBenefit does not provide Financial Advice, where issues arise from 1, 2, and/or 3 above Indicate a need for a legally authorized provider (such as a Financial Adviser) and the client does not have their own service provider, the client can utilize SuperBenefit’s ‘Connect Assist’ … SuperBenefit, in itself, does not provide Financial Advice, but it does provide the wherewithal for great SMSF service. WE do not provide Financial Advice or any other service that requires a legally authorized provider. However, where such advice or service is required we have our ‘Connect Assist’, a SuperBenefit resource we use to connect clients to a Licensed Advisor or other legally authorised service provider. Call us 0407 361 596, no obligation FREE Connection call to see how we can help you!
This entry was posted in Super Law & Compliance. Bookmark the permalink.

Write your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.