Danielle and Troy had property investment experience, with several properties in their personal portfolio already. Daniella was also an expert senior property investment advisor and Troy had an accounting background and they wondered if they could do better with their super, and their nephew was also keen to know too.
(There are 5 easy steps to planning anything – start where you are at, decide what lifestyle you want to have, what that lifestyle state or position will cost in money (to maintain the living costs) what you need invested to meet that cost of having what you want, and what action we need to take now to get there. Here is how it works with one of our clients.. )
(Get the FREE Resource: 5 Easy Steps to Plan your Retirement).
- WHERE they were at – Daniella and her husband were keen to understand and be able to invest in property using their super. Their existing experience with property investment matched Daniella’s career as a property investment advisor, and Troy had sold his business in the last couple of years and was looking at opportunities. Their nephew was close to them, and they realised they needed to be pro-active about retirement and that if they combined their super monies they could build up a deposit to invest in property.
- WANT to have – The goal was to self-fund retirement, with enough to be comfortable, but keep administration minimal and simplify the process.
- COST of that lifestyle – Estimated in today’s values, the annual income to retire they desired would be at least $100,000. That would be well over the ASFA definition of “Comfortable”, where “comfortable” enables “…an older, healthy retiree to be involved in a broad range of leisure and recreational activities and to have a good standard of living through the purchase of such things as: household goods, private health insurance, a reasonable car, good clothes, a range of electronic equipment, and domestic and occasionally international holiday travel.”
- NEED – how much you need invested to cover the income required – To be safe, if a conservative investment return of 5% is used, (one 20th of 100%) this means at least 20 times the income goal – which rounds to approx. $2,000,000 of income-producing assets other than the family home. They also needed administration assistance as it did not appeal to them!
- NOW what to do – After researching and talking to several services, they met with Paul, the Administration Manager at SuperBenefit, who supplied a detailed list of what would be included in the service. Once the structure of the bank and investments was clearly mapped out to ensure all components involved were covered, it was a simple matter to start organising the collection of documents required and have the accounts processed.
What was liked best of all – that the SuperBenefit Programme made it easy – SuperBenefit manages compliance from the annual documents, storage of records electronically and additionally, has a CONNECT-ASSIST service which provides co-ordination as well as help – with who to talk to for advice and any other help besides the financial advisor.
There was other value in our property investment specialists and private-client share broker, if required.
There is also peace of mind because any queries or compliance issues, could simply be given to the SuperBenefit administrator, who would CONNECT them to the right advisors as required (Connect/Assist Service).
The advisors had put these components in place –
- Strategy – to take control of the retirement plan, and build their super.
- Structure – use an SMSF and the SuperBenefit Programme administration.
- Support – with resources and all compliance taken care of by SuperBenefit, as well as a team of specialist professionals that the SMSF Connect/Assist service provides, working with the client advisors in unison.
Note – This is a simplified summary of one client – it is not to be taken as advice, as your specific circumstances are not considered – we recommend asking for a consultation and/or seeking further professional advice with our recommended advisors or your own advisor.
Get the FREE Resource: 5 Easy Steps to Plan your Retirement
If you have any questions, why not give us a call – it’s FREE!
No obligation. 0407 361 596, Paul